20 December 2012

the last day


On the day before the end of the world
I wanted to die
to prove that the Universe would end
I wouldn't know if it proved it to the ones I left behind
but it would end for me

On the day before the end of the world
I had a bad day
I woke up
with a pain in my head
my body ached
my toe throbbed
my belly churned
and I wanted to crawl back
into bed

On the day before the end of the world
I fought time
as I always seem to do
it should be  a flow
but it felt like a bad joke

My dreams premonitor my waking life
and tell me I'll be stuck in the same pattern
fixing floor tiles
while airplanes crashed overhead
and I was supposed to be catching one
to fly away
to the place that would make me feel OK
in the middle of Winter
on the day before the end of the world

And then the floor tile was done
and I wanted to live
and write a song
and tell stories
and sing

Fear itself
is dread
o do I fear dread

on the day before the end of the world
I saved a hummingbird
by blotting out the skylight
and airplanes hung low over the house

No comments: